Wednesday, January 11, 2012

My Cook Book What's for Dinner?


What's For Dinner?
Black Bean Veggie Mix Soup!
with a French Baguette from Panera Bread
 I had this Black Bean Soup mix in my cub bard for a few months. However I was afraid to make it,sense I am not very good at mastering soft beans. I hemmed and hawed over it for a few weeks just leaving it on the counter to stare at.

Well I needed a crock-pot meal yesterday. So, I through caution to the wind! I made a list of the ingredients my family likes in a soup and went for it!







You can add anything you want! I choose these items,
1 large can of diced tomatoes
1 small can of diced tomatoes and chilies
celery
quarter of an onion
half a container of chicken stalk
frozen veggies
lots of water
spices
and the end, fresh bread from Panera Bread for serving



First I chopped my onion and celery and fried it in olive oil for browning. Then I add about 2/3 of the bag of my soup mix. Then I filled the pot with water and boiled it for about 30 minutes.
While that was boiling I prepared the other portion. 
Now if you do not want to use a crock-pot like I did and let it simmer all day. You could you a dutch oven pan,like this one and cook it at a higher temp for a faster turn around time

Southern Man calls this my Magic Pot because every thing we make in here comes out amazing!
Back to my crock pot. Next I add the 2 cans of diced tomatoes in here. Several cups of water and my spices. Blended it together with my long cooking spoon and set the heat to high and covered it. 
When the beans, celery and onion were done boiling I added it to the crock pot and blended it some more.





I added a few more spices. These lovely mixed spices to the right, my home school friend gave me for Christmas. They have the most lovely smells.





Lastly I decide on carrots and peas for my frozen veggie add in. Mixed that into the crock pot. Closed the lid and let the heat stay on high for about 2 hours. 
Then I turned it down to low heat for about 4 hours. Then turned it back up to high heat about 1 hour before we ate. To make sure the beans were soft.



Well, the soup was a huge success with my gang because all I have to show is this large left over container! I could need even snap a quick photo in the bowl, because the dinner cries were loud last night!! 
However as soon as the warm soup and soft bread hit their tongues a great hush came over my home again!





I love it when there are left overs! Even after all had 3 helpings each!
 














No comments:

Post a Comment